NRA Basic Personal Protection in the Home
Class attendees get a discount on selected items in our store.
See class schedule and how to sign up here.
If you don’t see it on our schedule, please request a class by sending us an email.
Class size is usually limited. Please sign up early to assure your place.
Teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude essential to the safe and efficient use of a handgun for protection of self and family, and to provide information on the law-abiding individual’s right to self-defense.
We also offer the Instructor version.
This class is for law-abiding adult citizens, as defined by applicable federal, state, or local law, and experienced shooters (shooters able to show mastery of the basic skills of safe gun handling, shooting a group, zeroing the firearm, and cleaning the firearm).
Prospective participants can demonstrate that they have the requisite knowledge, skills, and attitudes by producing an NRA Basic Pistol Course Certificate, NRA FIRST Steps Course Certificate, NRA pistol competitive shooting qualification card, military DD 214 with pistol qualification, or passing the pre-class assessment.
- An 8-hour class.
- Expect to shoot approximately 100 rounds of ammunition.
- Class at our store here – starts at 9 a.m.
- Range at location about 2 miles west of Tahlequah
Students will learn:
- basic defensive shooting skills
- strategies for home safety and responding to a violent confrontation
- firearms and the law
- how to choose a handgun for self-defense
- continued opportunities for skill development
Students will receive:
- NRA Guide to the Basics of Personal Protection In The Home handbook
- NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure
- Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet
- Class completion certificate
What You Need for the Class
- Eye & Ear Protection
- Suitable clothing – NO low cut necklines
- Ball Cap (helps shield your face from flying brass)
- Personal firearm
- 100 rounds of factory ammo for your handgun (required for successful class completion)
- NRA ID number
- Current State ID
Lesson III of this class, Firearms and the Law, and Legal Aspects of Self-Defense, is conducted by an attorney licensed to practice law within the state in which this class is given and who is familiar with this area of the law, or a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) who possesses an intermediate or higher Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certificate granted within the state, or an individual currently certified to instruct in this area of the law by the state in which this class is presented. NRA Certified Instructors may conduct this lesson only if they meet the requirements stated above and then only in their capacity as an attorney, or other state certified individual not in their capacity as an NRA Certified Instructor.